Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club is looking to hire for a new internship position open to recent graduates of post-secondary schooling. The position will help students wishing to pursue a career in sports marketing.
Working closely with the Hurricanes staff, the intern will be awarded the opportunity to experience, first-hand, the intricacies of the behind the scenes activities a Junior hockey team experiences throughout a hockey season. This intern will be responsible for planning game night activities throughout the season; as well as, helping in the office with special events and daily tasks, as required.
This internship is only open to recent graduates from a post-secondary school. Preference will be given to those who have completed a sports marketing or marketing diploma or degree.
“We are thrilled to be able to offer this internship to post-secondary students looking to pursue a career in the sports industry,” said Terry Huisman, General Manager of Business Operations. “We’ve had smaller volunteer positions over the past five or six seasons, specific to just game nights and we’ve been very fortunate to have worked with some incredible individuals over that time, many of whom come back each year and we can’t thank them enough for their help. Now, we have a great opportunity to offer practical experience to an up-and-coming individual looking to work in the sports industry and we could not be happier.”
“As a member of the Western Hockey League, education is an important value of our organization. The internship will look to provide real-life experience for a student who has learned the theories in a classroom. We will provide support for the intern both with his/her office tasks as well as in their professional development,” added Huisman.
Job Title: Hurricanes Internship – Game Night Coordinator
Posting Date: August 29, 2018 | Closes: September 4, 2018
Start Date: TBD | Hours: Part-Time/Flexible | End Date: End of 2018-2019 Hockey Season
Competing in the Western Hockey League (WHL), the Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club play in the Central Division in the Eastern Conference and play their home games at the ENMAX Centre. The Hurricanes finished fifth in the Eastern Conference in the 2017-2018 regular season proceeding to a memorable playoff run. The Hurricanes came out strong defeating the Red Deer Rebels and the Brandon Wheat Kings in rounds one and two four games to one to make their second appearance in the Eastern Conference in as many seasons. Ultimately, they dropped the series four games to two to the Swift Current Broncos. With a resurgent of community support, the 2018-2019 season looks to be another exciting year of hockey.
The internship allows one recent post-secondary graduate student to work closely with the staff of the Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club each season to help promote the team, specifically the home games. Working with the sales team, the intern will be responsible for coordinating game night elements to ensure clients’ promotions are executed properly. This includes being at all regular season, and playoff home games to manage a small team of volunteers during each game night.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Help to create and plan theme nights for games to increase fan attendance
- Work closely with sales and marketing staff to execute client promotions accordingly
- Write script for in-game host and public-address announcer for each game, ensuring all sponsor elements are included
- Create and print programs for each home game
- Ensure prizes for all promotions and client requests are accounted for
- Direct contact with WHL Office regarding game night sponsorship and sponsorship elements, at league level
- Run production meeting prior to home games
- Assign tasks to game night volunteers
- Arrange anthem singers
- Arrange mascots for games
- Find volunteers on an as needed basis
- Daily office tasks, as needed
- Other tasks, as needed
- Must be able to attend all 34 regular season home games
- Must be able to attend all playoff home games
- Must be a recent graduate of a post-secondary school
- Preference given to students who studied sports marketing or marketing
- Proficient in Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Graphic design experience, including Adobe Creative Suite programs
- Experience with organizing live entertainment event
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.