Victoria, BC – The Lethbridge Hurricanes look to snap their eight game losing streak tonight as they face the Victoria Royals at 8:00pm at the Save-On Foods Memorial Centre.
The Hurricanes (7-12-1-0) are coming off a 5-2 loss in Kamloops on Saturday to the Blazers. Tanner Nagel and Jordy Bellerive scored the goals in the losing cause. The ‘Canes are 0-2-0-0 on their five game BC Division road trip. Hurricanes have posted a 1-7-0-0 record on the road so far this season.
The Royals (16-7-1-0) are riding high after a pair of victories on the weekend, the latest a 7-3 win in Tri-City over the Americans on Saturday. The Royals sit with an impressive 8-2-1-0 record at home this season. The Royals current sit first overall in the entire Western Conference and second in the WHL standings.
Tonight will be the first of two meetings on the season between the ‘Canes and Royals, who will also meet on December 2nd when the Hurricanes host the 22nd Annual Canadian Tire Teddy and Toque Toss.
Tune in tonight beginning at 7:45pm Mountain Time with the pre-game show on 106.7 ROCK with Dustin Forbes.
2017-2018 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (10) – Jordy Bellerive Assists (19) – Giorgio Estephan
Points (28) – Giorgio Estephan
PIMS (25) – Jordy Bellerive Plus/Minus (+3) – Ty Prefontaine
Wins (7) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (1) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.892) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.67) – Stuart Skinner
– Dylan Cozens has points in 3 straight games (3a); 8 of 9 games (4g-6a); 12 of 15 games (7g-8a)
– Giorgio Estephan has points in 2 straight games (2g-3a); 13 of 18 games (8g-18a); 14 of 20 (9g-19a)
– Jordy Bellerive has points 2 straight games (2g-1a); 13 of 14 games (9g-12a); 16 of 19 games (10g-15a)
– Calen Addison has points in 3 of 6 games (1g-3a); 12 of 18 games (4g-13a)
– Ryan Vandervlis has points in 4 of 6 games (1g-3a); 9 of 12 games (6g-4a); 10 of 14 games (6g-5a)
– Josh Tarzwell has points in 4 of 8 games (2g-2a); 5 of 11 games (2g-3a)
– Jake Elmer has points in 4 of 7 games (3g-1a); 5 of 9 games (3g-3a)
– Egor Zudilov has points in 4 of 8 games (2g-4a); 5 of 10 games (3g-4a)
– Zane Franklin has points in 7 of 13 games (6g-3a); 9 of 16 games (6g-5a)
2017-2018 REGULAR SEASON LEADERS:
– Giorgio Estephan is tied 21st in WHL Scoring with 28 points & tied for 14th in WHL Assists with 19
– Giorgio Estephan is tied 8th in WHL Power Play Goals with 6 & tied 29th in WHL Power Play Assists with 7
– Calen Addison tied 12th in WHL Power Play Assists with 9
– Calen Addison is tied 14th in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 18 points
– Jordy Bellerive is tied 35th in WHL Scoring with 25 points & is tied 35th in WHL Goals with 10
– Jordy Bellerive is tied 23rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 4 & tied 29th in WHL Power Play Assists with 7
– Dylan Cozens is tied 4th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 15 points & tied 2nd in WHL Rookie Goals with 7
– Dylan Cozens is tied 23rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 4
– Stuart Skinner is 7th in WHL Minutes by a Goaltender with 1014 & tied 5th in Games Played with 18
– Stuart Skinner is 6th in WHL Saves by a Goaltender with 512 & 6th in WHL Shots Faced with 574
– Stuart Skinner is tied 11th in WHL Wins with 7 & tied 2nd in WHL Losses with 10
– Brennan Riddle is 3 games away from 200 career games
– Giorgio Estephan is 22 games away from 300 career games
– Igor Merezhko is 3 games away from 150 career games
– Jadon Joseph is 16 games away from 100 career games
– Zane Franklin is 11 games away from 100 career games
– Stuart Skinner is 19 wins away from 100 career victories
– Brent Kisio is 5 wins away from 100 career victories
NEWS & NOTES:
Deja-Vu: So far this season the Hurricanes have won just seven of their first 21 games posting a record of 7-12-1-0 on the year. Last year, the ‘Canes were in the exact same position having won just seven of their first 21 games with a record of 7-11-1-2 on the year. The ‘Canes went on to win 11 of their next 12 games after the first 21 last year finishing the season with a 44-21-4-3 record overall.
Silver Lining: Hurricanes forward Dylan Cozens won a Silver Medal at the 2017 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge with Canada-Red, falling in the Gold Medal game to the United States. Cozens recorded seven points (1g-6a) in six games at the tournament. ‘Canes Assistant Coach Jeff Hansen (Canada-Black) and Video Coach Andrew Doty (Canada-White) are also took part as Video Coaches.
Canada-Russia: Stuart Skinner appeared at the 2017 CIBC Canada Russia Series as one of two goaltenders. Skinner started the second game against the Russians, ultimately falling 4-3 in the game. Skinner made 29 saves in the defeat. It was the second straight season a Hurricane represented the WHL after Giorgio Estephan suited up last year.
Sweet-16: Dylan Cozens is second in all 16-year-old scoring in the WHL having scored 15 points (7g-8a) in 15 games this season. Cozens, who was drafted 19th overall in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft, has 24 points (11g-13a) in 30 career WHL games, regular season and playoffs combined.