GAME DAY: Hurricanes Return Home to Face Winterhawks
Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes kick off a three game homestand tonight as they welcome the Portland Winterhawks at the ENMAX Centre at 7:00pm.
The Hurricanes (10-12-1-0) are coming off a 3-2-0-0 BC road trip having won the last three games in a row. The ‘Canes are coming off a 3-0 victory on Saturday in Cranbrook over the Kootenay Ice. Stuart Skinner made 47 saves for the shutout while Ryan Vandervlis, Jordy Bellerive and Jake Elmer scored the goals in the win. The Hurricanes are 6-5-1-0 on home-ice this season but have lost their last four home games.
The Winterhawks (19-4-0-0) are the hottest team in the Western Hockey League having won their last ten games. The ‘Hawks are coming off a 3-0 win in Edmonton over the Oil Kings on Saturday. Portland has posted an impressive 10-1-0-0 record on the road this season and are averaging the most goals scored per game (4.65 avg.) in the WHL this season.
Tonight will be the only meeting of the season between the Hurricanes and the Winterhawks. The ‘Canes defeated the ‘Hawks 6-5 in overtime in their lone meeting last year in Portland.
Tonight is also 106.7 ROCK Toy Mountain Night! Fans are encouraged to bring new, unwrapped toys that will be donated to under-privileged children. In addition, it is also the Unused Season Ticket Exchange night.
2017-2018 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (12) – Giorgio Estephan & Jordy Bellerive Assists (21) – Giorgio Estephan
Points (33) – Giorgio Estephan
PIMS (30) – Tanner Nagel & Igor Merezhko Plus/Minus (+7) – Ty Prefontaine
Wins (9) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.897) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.52) – Stuart Skinner
– Jordy Bellerive has points in 5 straight games (5g-4a); 16 of 17 games (12g-15a); 19 of 22 (12g-18a)
– Ryan Vandervlis has points in 3 straight games (5g-3a); 7 of 9 games (6g-6a); 12 of 15 games (11g-7a)
– Josh Tarzwell has points in 3 straight games (1g-4a); 7 of 11 games (3g-6a)
– Calen Addison has points in 3 straight games (1g-5a); 6 of 9 games (2g-8a)
– Jake Elmer has points in 2 straight games (2g); 3 of 5 games (3a); 6 of 10 games (5g-1a)
– Zane Franklin has points in 2 of 3 games (1g-2a); 3 of 5 games (1g-3a); 4 of 8 games (2g-3a)
– Dylan Cozens has points in 5 of 6 games (6a); 10 of 12 games (4g-9a); 13 of 16 games (6g-11a)
– Giorgio Estephan has points in 2 of 3 games (3g-2a); 3 of 5 games (5g-4a); 7 of 11 games (8g-8a)
– Ryan Bowen has points in 2 of 3 games (4a)
– Tanner Nagel has points in 3 of 4 games (2g-1a); 4 of 6 games (2g-2a)
2017-2018 REGULAR SEASON LEADERS:
– Giorgio Estephan is tied 19th in WHL Scoring with 33 points & tied for 14th in WHL Assists with 21
– Giorgio Estephan is tied 3rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 8 & tied 20th in WHL Power Play Assists with 9
– Calen Addison is tied 8th in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 24 points & tied 6th in WHL PP Assists with 12
– Jordy Bellerive is tied 25th in WHL Scoring with 31 points & is tied 14th in WHL Goals with 13
– Jordy Bellerive is tied 14th in WHL Power Play Goals with 6 & tied 14th in WHL Power Play Assists with 10
– Ryan Vandervlis is tied for 4th in WHL Game Winning Goals with 4
– Dylan Cozens is tied 5th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 18 points & tied 3rd in WHL Rookie Goals with 7
– Stuart Skinner is 7th in WHL Minutes by a Goaltender with 1124 & tied 7th in Games Played with 20
– Stuart Skinner is 6th in WHL Shots Faced with 643 & 6th in WHL Saves by a Goaltender with 577
– Stuart Skinner is tied 8th in WHL Wins with 9 & tied 3rd in WHL Losses with 10
– Calen Addison is 10 games away from 100 career games
– Giorgio Estephan is 19 games away from 300 career games
– Jake Elmer is 13 games away from 100 career games
– Jadon Joseph is 16 games away from 100 career games
– Zane Franklin is 8 games away from 100 career games
– Stuart Skinner is 17 wins away from 100 career victories
– Brent Kisio is 2 wins away from 100 career victories
NEWS & NOTES:
Deja-Vu: So far this season the Hurricanes have won nine of their first 23 games posting a record of 10-12-1-0 on the year. Last year, the ‘Canes were in a similar position having won just nine of their first 23 games with a record of 9-11-1-2 on the year. The ‘Canes went on to finish the season with a 44-21-4-3 record.
Sensational Skinner: Hurricanes goaltender Stuart Skinner is coming off his best game in the WHL having posted a 47-save shutout over the Kootenay Ice. Skinner, who is the all-time leader in franchise saves, surpassed the 5,000 save plateau in the victory. Skinner is now second all-time in franchise shutouts with eight trailing Logan Koopmans who had nine career goose-eggs.