GAME DAY: Hurricanes Set to Tangle with Tigers
Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes continue their final three-in-three weekend tonight at 7:30pm as they travel to face the Medicine Hat Tigers in the middle of the three game weekend.
The Hurricanes (33-15-4-3) have won nine straight games and have earned at least a single point in 15 straight games after a 4-2 victory on Friday night over the Prince Albert Raiders. Alec Baer scored twice while Matt Alfaro and Zak Zborosky tallied the others. Stuart Skinner made 37 saves for the victory. The Hurricanes enter play tonight second in the Central Division.
The Tigers (39-16-1-0) sit first in the Central Division with a six point cushion on the Hurricanes. Medicine Hat is coming off a 7-2 win last night in Calgary over the Hitmen. Mark Rassell scored three times in the win while five other Tigers had multi-point efforts. Tigers have won three straight games and have posted an 8-2-0-0 record in their last 10 games.
Tonight is the fifth of seven meetings on the season between the Hurricanes and the Tigers. Lethbridge has posted a 3-1-0-0 record against Medicine Hat this season. The last meeting was December 30th when the ‘Canes earned a 9-7 at the Canalta Centre.
VS. TIGERS: Tonight will be the fifth of seven meetings on the season between the Hurricanes and the Tigers. Lethbridge have posted a 3-1-0-0 record this season against Medicine Hat. Tyler Wong leads all Hurricanes scorers in the season series with 2g-5a in two games against the Tigers.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 SCORERS
September 23rd/2016 – at Lethbridge (4-2 Hurricanes) Tyler Wong – 39G, 37A – 76 points
September 24th/2016 – at Medicine Hat (9-3 Tigers) Giorgio Estephan – 26G, 40A – 66 points
December 9th/2016 – at Lethbridge (3-2 Hurricanes) Zak Zborosky – 34G, 26A – 60 points
December 30th/2016 – at Medicine Hat (9-7 Hurricanes) Brennan Menell – 11G, 40A – 51 points
February 11th/2017 – at Medicine Hat Jordy Bellerive – 23G, 23A – 46 points
March 17th/2017 – at Lethbridge
March 18th/2017 – at Medicine Hat
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (39) – Tyler Wong Assists (40) – Brennan Menell & Giorgio Estephan
Points (76) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (74) – Igor Merezhko Plus/Minus (+18) – Tyler Wong
Wins (28) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.907) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.19) – Stuart Skinner
– Tyler Wong has points in 5 straight games (4g-2a); 7 of 8 games (6g-4a); 25 of 31 games (26g-26a)
– Egor Babenko has points in 5 straight games (3g-5a); 8 of 10 games (5g-8a); 16 of 21 games (10g-16a)
– Giorgio Estephan has points in 4 straight games (2g-5a); 13 of 15 games (5g-17a); 28 of 33 (18g-32a)
– Calen Addison has points in 2 straight games (1g-1a)
– Jordy Bellerive has points in 2 straight games (2a); 4 of 6 games (2g-3a); 23 of 33 games (18g-18a)
– Matt Alfaro has points in 2 straight games (1g-1a); 12 of 17 games (6g-8a); 17 of 24 games (7g-17a)
– Zak Zborosky has points in 2 straight games (2g-1a); 13 of 18 games (11g-12a); 18 of 25 (14g-18a)
– Brennan Menell has points in 4 of 5 games (2g-5a); 13 of 15 games (5g-16a); 17 of 20 games (5g-22a)
– Jadon Joseph has points in 2 of 3 games (1g-1a); 4 of 6 games (2g-2a); 5 of 8 games (2g-3a)
– Igor Merezhko has points in 4 of 6 games (4a); 6 of 10 games (6a); 14 of 22 games (2g-14a)
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong is tied 3rd in WHL Goals with 39 & tied 6th in WHL Scoring with 76 points
– Tyler Wong is tied 3rd in WHL PP Goals with 13 & tied 3rd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 7
– Giorgio Estephan is tied 11th in WHL Goals with 26 & is tied 13th in WHL Scoring with 66 points
– Zak Zborosky is tied 4th in WHL Goals with 34 & tied 4th in WHL Power Play Goals with 12
– Brennan Menell is tied 4th in WHL PP Assists with 21 & 3rd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 51 points
– Calen Addison is tied 9th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 24 points (2nd among Rookie Defenseman Scoring)
– Calen Addison is 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 23 points
– Stuart Skinner is tied 2nd in Games Played (48); 3rd in WHL Wins with 28 & tied 9th in WHL Losses with 13
– Stuart Skinner is 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (2710) & is 2nd in WHL Shots (1552) & 2nd Saves (1408)
– Giorgio Estephan is 8 goals away from 100 career goals
– Matt Alfaro is 13 assists away from 100 career assists
– Matt Alfaro is 11 points away from 150 career points
– Tanner Nagel is 7 games away from 100 career games
– Zak Zborosky is 8 goals away from 100 career goals
– Zak Zborosky is 3 assists away from 100 career assists
– Zak Zborosky is 11 points away from 200 career points
– Stuart Skinner is 1 game away from becoming to ‘Canes All-Time leader in Games Played by a Goalie
NEWS & NOTES:
Gone Streakin’: The Hurricanes are one of the hottest teams over the last three months having earned at least a single point in 30 of their last 34 games. The ‘Canes are 26-4-3-1 in that stretch after a 4-2 win over the Raiders Friday night. The ‘Canes have outscored their opponent 151-109 in their last 34 games. The ‘Canes have won nine straight and collected points in 15 games in a row posting a 13-0-1-1 record.
Oh Captain, My Captain: Hurricanes Captain Tyler Wong suited up in career game 300 on Fridayt. He is just the fifth Hurricane in franchise history to play 300 or more games with the Hurricanes. The overager has racked up 61 points (30g-31a) in his last 37 games. Wong has 24 multi-point efforts in his last 37 games. He was named the WHL Player of the Month for December.
All-Time Leader: On Sunday, December 11th against the Kelowna Rockets, Stuart Skinner became the Hurricanes All-Time Franchise leader in saves surpassing Darcy Austin’s previous record of 3,516 career saves set between 1990 and 1992. Skinner will surpass Logan Koopmans for the most games played (139) by a goaltender in franchise history with his next start.
Top Honour: Stuart Skinner took part in the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Quebec City on January 30th. He was the first ‘Cane to participate since Carter Ashton in 2009. Skinner suited up for Team Cherry and stopped 17 of 18 shots he faced in the game leading Team Cherry to a 7-5 win.
Stifling PK: Heading into tonight’s game, the Hurricanes have killed off their last 96 of their last 112 minor penalties while only allowing 16 power play goals against in their last 30 games. The ‘Canes PK has been killing at an 85.7% rate over that span. They have killed off 24 of the last 26 penalties against.