Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes kick off their final three-in-three weekend of the regular season tonight when they welcome the Prince Albert Raiders to the ENMAX Centre at 7:00pm.
The Hurricanes (32-15-4-3) are red hot having won eight straight games after a 7-3 win on Wednesday in Red Deer over the Rebels. The win also was the ‘Canes 14th straight game with at least a single point going 12-0-1-1 in that span. Seven different goal scorers lit the lamp in the victory. The ‘Canes enter play six points back of the Medicine Hat Tigers for the Central Division lead.
The Raiders (13-37-3-2) enter play having lost their last two games. The latest was a 3-2 loss Wednesday in Medicine Hat to the Tigers. The Raiders are 5-5-0-0 in their last ten games by currently sit last place in the entire Western Hockey League with 31 points.
Tonight will be the third of the four game season series between the ‘Canes and Raiders – Lethbridge has won the prior two by a combined score of 10-5.
Tonight will also be the 300th career game for Hurricanes Captain Tyler Wong as he will become just the fifth player in ‘Canes history to play 300 games with the organization. Tickets for the game are available online, by calling 403-329-SEAT (7328) or by visiting the ENMAX Centre or Yates Ticket Centre’s.
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (39) – Tyler Wong Assists (40) – Brennan Menell
Points (74) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (74) – Igor Merezhko Plus/Minus (+18) – Tyler Wong
Wins (27) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.906) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.22) – Stuart Skinner
– Tyler Wong has points in 4 straight games (4g-1a); 6 of 7 games (6g-3a); 24 of 30 games (26g-25a)
– Egor Babenko has points in 4 straight games (3g-4a); 7 of 9 games (5g-7a); 15 of 20 games (10g-15a)
– Brennan Menell has points in 4 straight games (2g-5a); 13 of 14 games (5g-16a); 17 of 19 games (5g-22a)
– Giorgio Estephan has points in 3 straight games (2g-4a); 12 of 14 games (5g-16a); 27 of 32 (18g-31a)
– Brennan Riddle has points in 2 straight games (2a); 3 of 6 games (3a); 7 of 13 games (2g-6a)
– Jadon Joseph has points in 2 straight games (1g-1a); 4 of 5 games (2g-2a); 5 of 7 games (2g-3a)
– Tanner Nagel has points in 2 straight games (2a)
– Igor Merezhko has points in 4 of 5 games (4a); 6 of 9 games (6a); 14 of 21 games (2g-14a)
– Jordy Bellerive has points in 3 of 5 games (2g-2a); 11 of 18 games (10g-6a); 22 of 32 games (18g-17a)
– Zak Zborosky has points in 8 of 10 games (4g-8a); 12 of 17 games (10g-11a); 17 of 24 games (13g-17a)
– Matt Alfaro has points in 2 of 4 games (1g-1a); 11 of 16 games (5g-8a); 16 of 23 games (6g-17a)
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong is tied 3rd in WHL Goals with 39 & tied 6th in WHL Scoring with 75 points
– Tyler Wong is tied 3rd in WHL PP Goals with 13 & tied 3rd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 7
– Giorgio Estephan is tied 12th in WHL Goals with 26 & is tied 13th in WHL Scoring with 65 points
– Zak Zborosky is tied 6th in WHL Goals with 33 & tied 4th in WHL Power Play Goals with 11
– Brennan Menell is tied 5th in WHL PP Assists with 21 & 2nd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 51 points
– Calen Addison is tied 10th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 23 points (3rd among Rookie Defenseman Scoring)
– Calen Addison is tied 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 23 points
– Stuart Skinner is tied 2nd in Games Played (47); 3rd in WHL Wins with 27 & tied 9th in WHL Losses with 13
– Stuart Skinner is 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (2650) & is 2nd in WHL Shots (1513) & 2nd Saves (1371)
– Tyler Wong is 1 game away from 300 career games
– Giorgio Estephan is 8 goals away from 100 career goals
– Matt Alfaro is 13 assists away from 100 career assists
– Tanner Nagel is 8 games away from 100 career games
– Zak Zborosky is 1 game away from 250 career games
– Zak Zborosky is 9 goals away from 100 career goals
– Zak Zborosky is 4 assists away from 100 career assists
– Stuart Skinner is 2 games away from becoming to ‘Canes All-Time leader in Games Played by a Goalie
NEWS & NOTES:
Gone Streakin’: The Hurricanes are one of the hottest teams over the last three months having earned at least a single point in 29 of their last 33 games. The ‘Canes are 25-4-3-1 in that stretch after a 7-3 win over the Rebels on Wednesday in Red Deer. The ‘Canes have outscored their opponent 147-107 in their last 33 games. The Hurricanes have collected points in 14 straight games posting a 12-0-1-1 record in that span.
Oh Captain, My Captain: Hurricanes Captain Tyler Wong will suit up in career game 300 tonight. He is just the fifth Hurricane in franchise history to play 300 or more games with the Hurricanes. The overage forward has points in 24 of 30 games (26g-28a). He’s racked up 60 points (30g-30a) in his last 36 games. Wong has 24 multi-point efforts in his last 36 games. He was named the WHL Player of the Month for December.
All-Time Leader: On Sunday, December 11th against the Kelowna Rockets, Stuart Skinner became the Hurricanes All-Time Franchise leader in saves surpassing Darcy Austin’s previous record of 3,516 career saves set between 1990 and 1992. Skinner is also 2 games away from surpassing the most games played (139) by a goaltender in franchise history held by Logan Koopmans.
Top Honour: Stuart Skinner took part in the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Quebec City on January 30th. He was the first ‘Cane to participate since Carter Ashton in 2009. Skinner suited up for Team Cherry and stopped 17 of 18 shots he faced in the game leading Team Cherry to a 7-5 win.
Stifling PK: Heading into tonight’s game, the Hurricanes have killed off their last 91 of their last 106 minor penalties while only allowing 16 power play goals against in their last 29 games. The ‘Canes PK has been killing at an 85.8% rate over that span. They have killed off 19 of the last 21 penalties against.