Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club is excited to introduce a brand new, annual internship position open to post-secondary students. The paid position will help students wishing to pursue a career in sports marketing.
Working closely with the Hurricanes staff, the intern will be awarded the opportunity to experience, first-hand, the intricacies of the behind the scenes activities a Junior hockey team experiences throughout a hockey season. This intern will be responsible for planning game night activities throughout the season; as well as, helping in the office with special events and daily tasks, as required.
This internship is only opened to post-secondary students. Preference will be given to those pursuing a sports marketing or marketing diploma or degree.
“We are thrilled to be able to offer this internship to post-secondary students looking to pursue a career in the sports industry,” said Terry Huisman, General Manager of Business Operations. “We’ve had smaller volunteer positions over the past five or six seasons, specific to just game nights and we’ve been very fortunate to have worked with some incredible individuals over that time, many of whom come back each year and we can’t thank them enough for their help. Now, we have a great opportunity to offer practical experience to an up-and-coming post-secondary student looking to work in the sports industry and we could not be happier.”
“This year will be a bit of a learning curve for all of us; but, we are excited to embark on the journey and to grow the program moving forward. As a member of the Western Hockey League, education is an important value of our organization. The internship will look to provide real-life experience for a student who has learned the theories in a classroom. We will provide support for the intern both with his/her office tasks as well as in their studies,” added Huisman.
Application details can be found online at www.lethbridgehurricanes.com.
Job Title: Hurricanes Internship – Game Night Coordinator
Posting Date: August 1st, 2017 | Closes: August 10th, 2017
Start Date: August 21st, 2017 | Hours: Full-Time/Flexible | End Date: End of 2017-2018 Hockey Season
Competing in the Western Hockey League (WHL), the Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club play in the Central Division in the Eastern Conference and play their home games at the ENMAX Centre. Coming off the 30th Anniversary Season, the Hurricanes finished third in the Eastern Conference in the 2016-2017 regular season proceeding to a memorable playoff run. The Hurricanes came back from a 3-1 series deficit to defeat the Red Deer Rebels in seven games, on home ice, in the first round. In the second round, the ‘Canes saw a hard-fought battle against the Central Division Champion, Medicine Hat Tigers where former Captain Tyler Wong scored the series winning goal in overtime in Game 7 in Medicine Hat to advance the Hurricanes to the Eastern Conference Championship Series where they faced the Regina Pats. The Hurricanes fell in six games to the Pats. With a new Captain set to be named and a resurgent of community support, the 2017-2018 season looks to be another exciting year of hockey.
The internship allows one post-secondary student to work closely with the staff of the Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club each season to help promote the team, specifically the home games. Working with the sales team, the intern will be responsible for coordinating game night elements to ensure clients’ promotions are executed properly. This includes being at all regular season, and playoff home games to manage a small team of volunteers during each game night.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Help to create and plan theme nights for games to increase fan attendance
- Work closely with sales and marketing staff to execute client promotions accordingly
- Write script for in-game host and public-address announcer for each game, ensuring all sponsor elements are included
- Create and print programs for each home game
- Ensure prizes for all promotions and client requests are accounted for
- Direct contact with WHL Office regarding game night sponsorship and sponsorship elements, at league level
- Run production meeting prior to home games
- Assign tasks to game night volunteers
- Arrange anthem singers
- Arrange mascots for games
- Find volunteers on an as needed basis
- Daily office tasks, as needed
- Other tasks, as needed
- Must be able to attend all 36 regular season home games
- Must be able to attend all playoff home games
- Must be a current post-secondary student
- Preference given to students studying sports marketing or marketing
- Proficient in Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Graphic design experience, including Adobe Creative Suite programs
- Experience with organizing live entertainment event
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.