Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes kick off the 2017 Western Hockey League Playoffs tonight at 7:00pm at the ENMAX Centre as they welcome the Red Deer Rebels in Game 1 of their best-of-seven first round series.
The Hurricanes posted a 44-21-4-3 record in the regular season and finished second in the Central Division. The ‘Canes last played on March 18th when they were handed an 8-7 loss in Medicine Hat to the Tigers. The ‘Canes posted a 25-8-2-1 regular season record on home ice.
The Rebels finished the 2016-2017 campaign third in the Central Division having posted a 30-29-9-4 record on the season. Red Deer was handed a 5-4 overtime loss in Edmonton last Saturday in their final regular season game. The Rebels were 12-17-3-4 on the road during the season.
The Hurricanes have dominated the Rebels in recent years. The ‘Canes were 5-0-1-0 in the six regular season games and in the last 14 head to head meetings dating back to February 2015, the ‘Canes have posted a 12-1-1-0 record.
This is the first time since 2002 that the Hurricanes and Rebels have met in the post-season and the fifth time overall; both teams have won two playoff series against one another.
Tickets for tonight’s Game 1 and Sunday’s Game 2 are still available! You can buy your tickets online, by calling 403-329-SEAT (7328) or by visiting the ENMAX Centre or Yates Ticket Centre’s.
There will also be a tailgate party from 5:00pm until 6:45pm on the plaza at the ENMAX Centre with a BBQ sponsored by Browns Socialhouse with burgers and chips available by donation – all proceeds going to the United Way of Lethbridge.
PLAYOFF SERIES: Tonight will be the first of a best-of-seven series between the Hurricanes and the Rebels. The Hurricanes and Rebels haven’t met in the post-season since 2002.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 PLAYOFF SCORERS
Game 1 – Sat, March 25th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge Tyler Wong – 0G, 0A – 0 points
Game 2 – Sun, March 26th, 6:00pm – at Lethbridge Giorgio Estephan – 0G, 0A – 0 points
Game 3 – Wed, March 29th, 7:00pm – at Red Deer Zak Zborosky – 0G, 0A – 0 points
Game 4 – Thu, March 30th, 7:00pm – at Red Deer Brennan Menell – 0G, 0A – 0 points
*Game 5 – Sat, April 1st, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge Matt Alfaro – 0G, 0A – 0 points
*Game 6 – Sun, April 2nd, 5:00pm – at Red Deer
*Game 7 – Tue, April 4th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge
(* if necessary)
2016-2017 PLAYOFF STATS LEADERS:
Goals (0) – N/A Assists (0) – N/A
Points (0) – N/A
PIMS (0) – N/A Plus/Minus (0) – N/A
Wins (0) – N/A Shutouts (0) – N/A
Save % (.000) – N/A Goals Against Average (0.00) – N/A
VS. REBELS, REGULAR SEASON: The Hurricanes and Rebels met six times in the 2016-2017 regular season with the ‘Canes posting a 5-0-1-0 record. The lone Red Deer win came December 3rd at the ENMAX Centrium.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 SEASON SCORERS
October 29th/2016 – at Lethbridge (6-1 Hurricanes) Tyler Wong – 51G, 58A – 109 points
December 2nd/2016 – at Lethbridge (5-3 Hurricanes) Giorgio Estephan – 35G, 54A – 89 points
December 3rd/2016 – at Red Deer (3-2 OT Rebels) Zak Zborosky – 41G, 33A – 74 points
January 7th/2017 – at Lethbridge (3-1 Hurricanes) Brennan Menell – 12G, 59A – 71 points
February 1st/2017 – at Red Deer (3-2 OT Hurricanes) Matt Alfaro – 25G, 35A – 60 points
February 8th/2017 – at Red Deer (7-3 Hurricanes)
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (51) – Tyler Wong Assists (59) – Brennan Menell
Points (109) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (103) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+29) – Tyler Wong
Wins (34) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.906) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.26) – Stuart Skinner
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong was tied 1st in WHL Goals with 51 & 3rd in WHL Scoring with 109 points
– Tyler Wong was tied 4th in WHL PP Goals with 15 & tied 2nd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 10
– Giorgio Estephan was tied 11th in WHL Goals with 35 & is tied 9th in WHL Scoring with 89 points
– Zak Zborosky was 5th in WHL Goals with 41 & tied 3rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 16
– Brennan Menell was tied 3rd in WHL PP Assists with 28 & 2nd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 71 points
– Brennan Menell was tied 9th in WHL Defenseman Goals with 12 & 1st in WHL Defenseman Assists with 59
– Calen Addison was tied 10th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 33 points (2nd among Rookie D-man Scoring)
– Calen Addison was 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 33 points
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in Games Played (60); 2nd in WHL Wins with 34 & tied 6th in WHL Losses with 18
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (3386) & 2nd in WHL Shots (1933) & 2nd Saves (1749)