PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Hurricanes Look to Stay Alive, Again
Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes will look to keep their season alive for the second straight night as they visit the Red Deer Rebels tonight at 5:00pm.
The Hurricanes staved off elimination on Saturday with a 5-3 victory in Game 5 over the Rebels in Lethbridge at the ENMAX Centre. Giorgio Estephan returned after missing Games 3 and 4 and didn’t miss a beat picking up a goal and two assists. Matt Alfaro, Zak Zborosky, Zane Franklin and Alec Baer added the others in the win while Stuart Skinner made 39 saves for the victory.
The Rebels failed to close out the series. Brandon Hagel scored two more goals while Michael Spacek added the other in the losing cause. Riley Lamb was strong again making 36 saves on the night. The Rebels power play remained red hot as it scored twice on four opportunities.
The ‘Canes will look to earn a Game 6 victory and force a seventh and deciding game on Tuesday at the ENMAX Centre.
PLAYOFF SERIES: Tonight will be Game 6 of the best-of-seven series between the Hurricanes and the Rebels. The Rebels lead the series three games to two. It’s the first meeting between the Hurricanes and Rebels in the post-season since 2002 and the fifth time all-time.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: (* if necessary) HURRICANE TOP 5 PLAYOFF SCORERS
Game 1 – March 25th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge (4-2 RD) Egor Babenko – 3G. 4A, 7 points
Game 2 – March 26th, 6:00pm – at Lethbridge (5-2 LH) Tyler Wong – 4G, 3A – 7 points
Game 3 – March 29th, 7:00pm – at Red Deer (4-3 OT2 RD) Zak Zborosky – 2G, 3A – 5 points
Game 4 – Thu, March 30th, 7:00pm – at Red Deer (5-3 RD) Brennan Menell – 1G, 3A – 4 points
Game 5 – Sat, April 1st, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge (5-3 LH) Giorgio Estephan – 1G, 3A – 4 points
Game 6 – Sun, April 2nd, 5:00pm – at Red Deer
*Game 7 – Tue, April 4th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge
2016-2017 PLAYOFF STATS LEADERS:
Goals (3) – Egor Babenko Assists (3) – Jordy Bellerive
Points (3) – Egor Babenko & Jordy Bellerive
PIMS (7) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+4) – Ryan Vandervlis & Egor Babenko
Wins (1) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (0) – N/A
Save % (.914) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (2.52) – Stuart Skinner
- REBELS, REGULAR SEASON: The Hurricanes and Rebels met six times in the 2016-2017 regular season with the ‘Canes posting a 5-0-1-0 record. The ‘Canes were 12-1-1-0 in their last 14 regular season head-to-head meetings. The lone Red Deer win came December 3rd at the ENMAX Centrium.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 SEASON SCORERS
October 29th/2016 – at Lethbridge (6-1 Hurricanes) Tyler Wong – 51G, 58A – 109 points
December 2nd/2016 – at Lethbridge (5-3 Hurricanes) Giorgio Estephan – 35G, 54A – 89 points
December 3rd/2016 – at Red Deer (3-2 OT Rebels) Zak Zborosky – 41G, 33A – 74 points
January 7th/2017 – at Lethbridge (3-1 Hurricanes) Brennan Menell – 12G, 59A – 71 points
February 1st/2017 – at Red Deer (3-2 OT Hurricanes) Matt Alfaro – 25G, 35A – 60 points
February 8th/2017 – at Red Deer (7-3 Hurricanes)
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (51) – Tyler Wong Assists (59) – Brennan Menell
Points (109) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (103) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+29) – Tyler Wong
Wins (34) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.906) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.26) – Stuart Skinner
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong was tied 1st in WHL Goals with 51 & 3rd in WHL Scoring with 109 points
– Tyler Wong was tied 4th in WHL PP Goals with 15 & tied 2nd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 10
– Giorgio Estephan was tied 11th in WHL Goals with 35 & is tied 9th in WHL Scoring with 89 points
– Zak Zborosky was 5th in WHL Goals with 41 & tied 3rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 16
– Brennan Menell was tied 3rd in WHL PP Assists with 28 & 2nd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 71 points
– Brennan Menell was tied 9th in WHL Defenseman Goals with 12 & 1st in WHL Defenseman Assists with 59
– Calen Addison was tied 10th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 33 points (2nd among Rookie D-man Scoring)
– Calen Addison was 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 33 points
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in Games Played (60); 2nd in WHL Wins with 34 & tied 6th in WHL Losses with 18
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (3386) & 2nd in WHL Shots (1933) & 2nd Saves (1749)
NEWS & NOTES:
New Life: The Hurricanes find themselves still alive in the 2017 WHL Playoffs after earning a 5-3 victory on Saturday night. The ‘Canes have never forced a Game 6 when trailing a series three games to one. The Hurricanes face another must win game tonight to try and force a seventh and deciding game on Tuesday.
Lead Me: The Hurricanes have had a difficult time holding leads in this series. The ‘Canes have had a two goal lead in four of five games in the series only to see Red Deer storm back to win three out of the five games despite being behind the eight-ball. The ‘Canes were 32-2-2-2 in the regular season when leading after forty minutes but are 1-2-1-0 in the playoffs.