Red Deer, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes will play Game 3 of their best-of-seven first round series with the Red Deer Rebels tonight at the ENMAX Centrium in Red Deer at 7:00pm.
The Hurricanes, who dropped Game 1 on Saturday by a 4-2 score, were able to bounce back and even the series at a game apiece with a convincing 5-2 victory on Sunday night at the ENMAX Centre in Lethbridge. Egor Babenko scored three times while Tanner Nagel and Ryan Bowen added the others in the win.
The Rebels have been led by forward Michael Spacek through two games. Spacek has been a part of four of their six goals in the series thus far as he has recorded two goals and two assist in the first two games. Riley Lamb, who was strong in Game 1, was lifted after giving up five goals on 25 shots in Game 2.
Fans who won’t be able to attend the game in Red Deer can watch the game at Browns Socialhouse in Lethbridge or listen on 106.7 ROCK with the pregame show beginning at 6:45pm.
PLAYOFF SERIES: Tonight will be Game 3 of the best-of-seven series between the Hurricanes and the Rebels. The series is tied at one game apiece after the first two games. It’s the first meeting between the Hurricanes and Rebels in the post-season since 2002 and the fifth time all-time.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: (* if necessary) HURRICANE TOP 5 PLAYOFF SCORERS
Game 1 – Sat, March 25th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge (4-2 RD) Egor Babenko – 3G. 0A, 3 points
Game 2 – Sun, March 26th, 6:00pm – at Lethbridge (5-2 LH) Jordy Bellerive – 0G, 3A – 3 points
Game 3 – Wed, March 29th, 7:00pm – at Red Deer Tanner Nagel – 1G, 1A – 2 points
Game 4 – Thu, March 30th, 7:00pm – at Red Deer Ryan Vandervlis – 1G, 1A – 2 points
Game 5 – Sat, April 1st, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge Alec Baer – 0G, 2A – 2 points
*Game 6 – Sun, April 2nd, 5:00pm – at Red Deer
*Game 7 – Tue, April 4th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge
2016-2017 PLAYOFF STATS LEADERS:
Goals (3) – Egor Babenko Assists (3) – Jordy Bellerive
Points (3) – Egor Babenko & Jordy Bellerive
PIMS (7) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+4) – Ryan Vandervlis & Egor Babenko
Wins (1) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (0) – N/A
Save % (.914) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (2.52) – Stuart Skinner
VS. REBELS, REGULAR SEASON: The Hurricanes and Rebels met six times in the 2016-2017 regular season with the ‘Canes posting a 5-0-1-0 record. The ‘Canes were 12-1-1-0 in their last 14 regular season head-to-head meetings. The lone Red Deer win came December 3rd at the ENMAX Centrium.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 SEASON SCORERS
October 29th/2016 – at Lethbridge (6-1 Hurricanes) Tyler Wong – 51G, 58A – 109 points
December 2nd/2016 – at Lethbridge (5-3 Hurricanes) Giorgio Estephan – 35G, 54A – 89 points
December 3rd/2016 – at Red Deer (3-2 OT Rebels) Zak Zborosky – 41G, 33A – 74 points
January 7th/2017 – at Lethbridge (3-1 Hurricanes) Brennan Menell – 12G, 59A – 71 points
February 1st/2017 – at Red Deer (3-2 OT Hurricanes) Matt Alfaro – 25G, 35A – 60 points
February 8th/2017 – at Red Deer (7-3 Hurricanes)
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (51) – Tyler Wong Assists (59) – Brennan Menell
Points (109) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (103) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+29) – Tyler Wong
Wins (34) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.906) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.26) – Stuart Skinner
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong was tied 1st in WHL Goals with 51 & 3rd in WHL Scoring with 109 points
– Tyler Wong was tied 4th in WHL PP Goals with 15 & tied 2nd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 10
– Giorgio Estephan was tied 11th in WHL Goals with 35 & is tied 9th in WHL Scoring with 89 points
– Zak Zborosky was 5th in WHL Goals with 41 & tied 3rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 16
– Brennan Menell was tied 3rd in WHL PP Assists with 28 & 2nd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 71 points
– Brennan Menell was tied 9th in WHL Defenseman Goals with 12 & 1st in WHL Defenseman Assists with 59
– Calen Addison was tied 10th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 33 points (2nd among Rookie D-man Scoring)
– Calen Addison was 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 33 points
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in Games Played (60); 2nd in WHL Wins with 34 & tied 6th in WHL Losses with 18
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (3386) & 2nd in WHL Shots (1933) & 2nd Saves (1749)
NEWS & NOTES:
PP MIA: The Hurricanes power play has been struggling in their last few games. After a 0/6 count in Game 1 and Game 2 against the Rebels on the weekend, the ‘Canes have gone 0/22 in their last four games and just 1/27 in their last four games with the extra man. The ‘Canes have not scored a PP goal in their last 26 PP chances.