Medicine Hat, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes visit the Medicine Hat Tigers tonight in Game 5 at the Canalta Centre at 7:30pm.
The Hurricanes surrendered their series lead on Wednesday as they dropped a 3-2 overtime loss to the Tigers in Game 4 at the ENMAX Centre as Medicine Hat evened the series at two games apiece. Giorgio Estephan scored for the third straight game while Egor Babenko added the other in the loss. Stuart Skinner made a career-high 56 saves in the defeat.
The Tigers took a script out of the Hurricanes book as they erased a 2-0 deficit clawing back to tie before winning in the first overtime period. Chad Butcher and Max Gerlach scored in regulation before John Dahlstrom scored his second game-winning goal of the series in overtime to steal home-ice advantage back from the Hurricanes.
The ‘Canes earned the split in Medicine Hat last weekend as they picked up a 7-4 victory in Game 2. Lethbridge will look to take a 3-2 series lead before returning home on Sunday for Game 6.
PLAYOFF SERIES: Tonight will be Game 5 of the best-of-seven series between the Hurricanes and the Tigers. The series is tied 2-2. The ‘Canes and Tigers have not met in the WHL post-season since 1991 when the Hurricanes eliminated them in 7 games – that was the only time the two have faced off in playoffs.
PLAYOFF SERIES: (* if necessary) HURRICANE TOP 5 PLAYOFF SCORERS
Game 1 – April 7th, 7:30pm – at Medicine Hat (4-0 MH) Giorgio Estephan – 8G. 9A, 17 points
Game 2 – April 8th, 7:30pm – at Medicine Hat (7-4 LH) Tyler Wong – 7G, 8A – 15 points
Game 3 – April 11th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge (5-2 LH) Brennan Menell – 4G, 8A – 12 points
Game 4 – April 12th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge (3-2 OT MH) Egor Babenko – 4G, 8A – 12 points
*Game 5 – April 14th, 7:30pm – at Medicine Hat Ryan Vandervlis – 4G, 4A – 8 points
*Game 6 – April 16th, 6:00pm – at Lethbridge
*Game 7 – April 18th, 7:00pm – at Medicine Hat
2016-2017 PLAYOFF STATS LEADERS:
Goals (8) – Giorgio Estephan Assists (9) – Giorgio Estephan
Points (17) – Giorgio Estephan
PIMS (16) – Jordy Bellerive Plus/Minus (+8) – Giorgio Estephan, Ryan Vandervlis
Wins (6) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (0) – N/A
Save % (.924) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (2.78) – Stuart Skinner
- TIGERS, REGULAR SEASON: The Hurricanes and Tigers met seven times in the 2016-2017 regular season with the ‘Canes posting a 3-4-0-0 record. The ‘Canes won three of the first four games while the Tigers took the final three head-to-head meetings.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 SEASON SCORERS
September 23rd/2016 – at Lethbridge (4-2 Hurricanes) Tyler Wong – 51G, 58A – 109 points
September 24th/2016 – at Medicine Hat (9-3 Tigers) Giorgio Estephan – 35G, 54A – 89 points
December 9th/2016 – at Lethbridge (3-2 Hurricanes) Zak Zborosky – 41G, 33A – 74 points
December 30th/2016 – at Medicine Hat (9-7 Hurricanes) Brennan Menell – 12G, 59A – 71 points
February 11th/2017 – at Medicine Hat (5-0 Tigers) Matt Alfaro – 25G, 35A – 60 points
March 17th/2017 – at Lethbridge (5-1 Tigers)
March 18th/2017 – at Medicine Hat (8-7 Tigers)
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (51) – Tyler Wong Assists (59) – Brennan Menell
Points (109) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (103) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+29) – Tyler Wong
Wins (34) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.906) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.26) – Stuart Skinner
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong was tied 1st in WHL Goals with 51 & 3rd in WHL Scoring with 109 points
– Tyler Wong was tied 4th in WHL PP Goals with 15 & tied 2nd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 10
– Giorgio Estephan was tied 11th in WHL Goals with 35 & is tied 9th in WHL Scoring with 89 points
– Zak Zborosky was 5th in WHL Goals with 41 & tied 3rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 16
– Brennan Menell was tied 3rd in WHL PP Assists with 28 & 2nd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 71 points
– Brennan Menell was tied 9th in WHL Defenseman Goals with 12 & 1st in WHL Defenseman Assists with 59
– Calen Addison was tied 10th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 33 points (2nd among Rookie D-man Scoring)
– Calen Addison was 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 33 points
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in Games Played (60); 2nd in WHL Wins with 34 & tied 6th in WHL Losses with 18
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (3386) & 2nd in WHL Shots (1933) & 2nd Saves (1749)