Regina, SK – The Lethbridge Hurricanes will play Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Championship Series tonight at 7:00pm as they will look for a 2-0 series lead over the Regina Pats.
The Hurricanes earned a 3-1 victory in Game 1 in their third round best-of-seven series with the Pats on Friday night. Stuart Skinner was outstanding in the opening game of the series as he stopped 36 of 37 and was named the first star. Giorgio Estephan scored twice while Jordy Bellerive added the other.
The Pats were handed their first regulation loss in the post-season on Friday night. Regina scored 1:10 into the hockey game in Game 1 as Austin Wagner scored his team-leading 11th goal of the playoffs but failed to be able to solve Skinner the rest of the way.
The ‘Canes will look to take a 2-0 lead in the series before it shifts back to Lethbridge for Game’s 3 and 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The game tonight can be seen on the WHL on SHAW and heard on 106.7 ROCK.
PLAYOFF SERIES: Tonight will be Game 1 of the best-of-seven series between the Hurricanes and the Pats. The ‘Canes lead the series 1-0. This is the second straight post-season that the ‘Canes and Pats have met after Regina eliminated Lethbridge in five games in the first round in 2016.
PLAYOFF SERIES: (* if necessary) HURRICANE TOP 5 PLAYOFF SCORERS
Game 1 – April 21st, 7:00pm – at Regina (3-1 LH) Tyler Wong – 11G. 11A, 22 points
Game 2 – April 22nd, 7:00pm – at Regina Giorgio Estephan – 10G, 11A – 21 points
Game 3 – April 25th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge Egor Babenko – 7G, 12A – 19 points
Game 4 – April 26th, 7:00pm – at Lethbridge Brennan Menell – 4G, 9A – 13 points
*Game 5 – April 28th, 7:00pm – at Regina Jordy Bellerive – 5G, 6A – 11 points
*Game 6 – April 30th, 6:00pm – at Lethbridge
*Game 7 – May 2nd, 7:00pm – at Regina
2016-2017 PLAYOFF STATS LEADERS:
Goals (11) – Tyler Wong Assists (12) – Egor Babenko
Points (22) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (20) – Jordy Bellerive Plus/Minus (+9) – Giorgio Estephan
Wins (9) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (0) – N/A
Save % (.922) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (2.90) – Stuart Skinner
- PATS, REGULAR SEASON: The Hurricanes and Pats met four times in the regular season with both teams winning twice. Regina took the first two head-to-head meetings while Lethbridge took the last two. Both teams won once at home and once on the road.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: HURRICANE TOP 5 SEASON SCORERS
October 15th/2016 – at Lethbridge (7-2 Pats) Tyler Wong – 51G, 58A – 109 points
October 18th/2016 – at Regina (6-1 Pats) Giorgio Estephan – 35G, 54A – 89 points
December 7th/2016 – at Lethbridge (5-4 OT Hurricanes) Zak Zborosky – 41G, 33A – 74 points
February 28th/2017 – at Regina (4-1 Hurricanes) Brennan Menell – 12G, 59A – 71 points
Matt Alfaro – 25G, 35A – 60 points
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON STATS LEADERS:
Goals (51) – Tyler Wong Assists (59) – Brennan Menell
Points (109) – Tyler Wong
PIMS (103) – Zane Franklin Plus/Minus (+29) – Tyler Wong
Wins (34) – Stuart Skinner Shutouts (2) – Stuart Skinner
Save % (.906) – Stuart Skinner Goals Against Average (3.26) – Stuart Skinner
2016-2017 REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE LEADERS:
– Tyler Wong was tied 1st in WHL Goals with 51 & 3rd in WHL Scoring with 109 points
– Tyler Wong was tied 4th in WHL PP Goals with 15 & tied 2nd in WHL Game Winning Goals with 10
– Giorgio Estephan was tied 11th in WHL Goals with 35 & is tied 9th in WHL Scoring with 89 points
– Zak Zborosky was 5th in WHL Goals with 41 & tied 3rd in WHL Power Play Goals with 16
– Brennan Menell was tied 3rd in WHL PP Assists with 28 & 2nd in WHL Defenseman Scoring with 71 points
– Brennan Menell was tied 9th in WHL Defenseman Goals with 12 & 1st in WHL Defenseman Assists with 59
– Calen Addison was tied 10th in WHL Rookie Scoring with 33 points (2nd among Rookie D-man Scoring)
– Calen Addison was 1st among 2000-born scorers in the WHL with 33 points
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in Games Played (60); 2nd in WHL Wins with 34 & tied 6th in WHL Losses with 18
– Stuart Skinner was 2nd in WHL Minutes by a Goalie (3386) & 2nd in WHL Shots (1933) & 2nd Saves (1749)
NEWS & NOTES:
So We Meet Again: The Hurricanes and Pats will square off in the post-season for the second consecutive year. In the 2016 WHL Playoffs, the Hurricanes were eliminated by the Pats in five games in the first round of the post-season. After winning Game 1, the ‘Canes went on to lose the next four.
Road Warriors: The Hurricanes have been good on the road this post-season. Heading into tonight’s Game 2, the ‘Canes have won four straight road games and have won five of their last six games away from the ENMAX Centre in the playoffs. The ‘Canes have scored 20 goals in their last four road games.
Oh, Giorgio: Giorgio Estephan has been racking up points. The four-year veteran has tossed 20 points (10g-10a) on the board in his last 11 games since returning from injury in Round 1 against Red Deer. The Hurricanes are 9-0-1 in the playoffs when Estephan records a point.